Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in Baltimore, MD
Hire an Experienced Catastrophic Injury Attorney
If your life has been forever changed due to an injury inflicted by someone else or caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation. At the law office of Jack J. Schmerling, attorney at law, we work hard to secure the highest level of compensation for our clients in catastrophic injury lawsuits. Our team has decades of experience negotiating for clients and fighting for their rights in court to secure the best possible outcome. Call our office today to schedule a free initial consultation with our catastrophic injury lawyer in Baltimore, MD.
What Is a Catastrophic Injury?
In Maryland, a catastrophic injury affects the victim’s life and future, so they cannot recover. Injuries that cause total or partial paralysis, loss of a limb, severe brain injury, loss of vision or hearing, or other permanent, severe, or disfiguring injuries can be considered catastrophic in the eyes of the law. These types of injuries cause serious physical, emotional, and financial consequences that are life changing. There isn’t a strict medical or legal definition for a catastrophic injury, but a personal injury attorney can argue that life-altering injuries deserve high compensation. The most common catastrophic injuries are spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries, internal organ damage, amputations, vision or hearing damage, bodily function damage, loss of fertility, and severe burns.
How Long Do You Have to File a Catastrophic Injury Lawsuit?
If you have suffered a catastrophic injury, hiring an experienced attorney as soon as possible is in your best interests. Your attorney will obtain documentation of your injury, seek witness statements, obtain police reports and medical records, negotiate on your behalf with other parties, and file documents with the court to establish your case. In Maryland, you have three years to file a lawsuit to recover compensation for personal injury, including catastrophic injury.
What Types of Damages Are Available?
Catastrophic injuries can quickly become financially crippling. They can affect your physical, emotional, mental, social, and spiritual life and your future happiness and earning capacity. If your injury was due to someone else’s negligence or willful intent, you can request compensation for economic and non-economic damages:
- Economic Damages – Maryland allows plaintiffs to request economic damages for catastrophic injuries. There are no caps on awards for economic damages. Economic damages include compensation for doctor’s visits, hospitalization, surgery, rehabilitation, medication, physical therapy, property damage, and lost wages.
- Noneconomic Damages – There is a cap on awards for non-economic damages. Non-economic damages include emotional distress, loss of companionship, loss of enjoyment of life, and pain and suffering.
- Damage Caps in Baltimore – In Baltimore, there is a cap on the non-economic damages you can receive in a catastrophic injury lawsuit or any other type of personal injury lawsuit. The cap on non-economic damages is $905,000 for personal injury cases and $2,262,500 for wrongful death cases with two or more survivors.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
Most personal injury attorneys in Maryland offer free initial consultations. This means that they will meet with you, review your case details, and possibly review documentation or medical records to determine if you have a case worth pursuing. You can also ask questions and get a sense of whether you would work well with the attorney. The majority of personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee basis. This means they do not require a retainer, fees, or an hourly rate unless they win your case. If they win your case, they will deduct their fee from your award. You will agree on a fee beforehand, which will be outlined in your contract. Most personal injury attorneys charge a fee of 25-40% of the final award.
Preparing for a Legal Consultation with an Attorney
An initial consultation with a catastrophic injury lawyer allows you to determine if they are the right fit for you. If you prepare for the meeting beforehand, you can ensure you don’t forget anything. Follow these tips to prepare for your legal consultation:
- Bring all records, documentation, police reports, and information about your injuries and the circumstances surrounding how you got them.
- Make a list of witnesses or people who can testify to the circumstances of your injuries and how they have affected your life.
- Bring copies of pay stubs and/or financial records that support financial losses you have incurred due to your injuries.
- Make a list of questions you want to ask your attorney.
- Write down your personal account of the circumstances leading up to your injuries.
Schedule a Consultation with Our Catastrophic Injury Attorney
If you’re ready to schedule a consultation with our catastrophic injury attorney in Baltimore, MD, call us today or contact us online. When you schedule a free initial consultation, you can ask questions, evaluate Mr. Schmerling’s experience, meet his team, and determine if we are a good fit for your needs.
Our Values Statements
- Over 35 Years of Experience
- Work Directly With Attorney Jack Schmerling
- Free Consulations
- No Recovery, No Fee